Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Goin' once... goin' twice...sold to the lady in the second row!

There's this little place downtown that hosts an auction on Saturday nights. The guy that runs it buys out storage buildings, and auctions off whatever is inside. It's kind of sad... but I guess that's life. I attended a couple sessions, but never got anything too spectacular. Well, last weekend I went with my mother and grandmother. I'm pretty much always the youngest there, but it is still entertaining to watch. The auctioneer makes corny jokes, that happen to be funny at the time. One time he was auctioning off a couple of Halloween masks, I believe one of them was Ronald Reagan. Anyways, no one was bidding... so he said if anyone bought them they could go and make their money back at the Kwik Shop. He's always calling people out if they stand up, if they aren't paying attention, or if they decide to let someone else beat them on a bid. He was selling a figurine Saturday that no one would bid on.. so he said "Come on guys, this thing is like a bird... cheap, cheap, cheap!" Anyways, something actually popped up that caught my eye. There were three rocking chairs that were going for three times the money (auction talk). I could close my eyes and imagine myself rocking and watching the sunset on the screened in porch of my new home. I nudged my mother, and we were in! We won the auction at $40, which wasn't bad because rocking chairs are expensive. They asked how many we wanted, and I decided two would be perfect (two times the money... NOT like a bird). I also scored some cheap pots and pans that are EverWear... which I believe is nice (I hope). I won them at $9 for a six piece set. Mama accidentally raised her number during one of her laughing fits (where she rocks and claps and chuckles all at the same time), and won a gas torch (hahaha!). My grandmother bought a mini rocking chair for one of her dolls, and two chicken figurines. She was so excited about the chickens! She paid $6 for the set and gleamed as she carried her prize back to her seat. We examined the creatures and turned them over to find a $1 Dollar Tree sticker on each of them. Her smile faded instantly. At the end of the night, my mother and I went to claim my chairs. I was all excited until I realized that one of them had a broken spot on the rocker part. It wasn't terrible, but it was there. Mom argued her way out of us not having to pay... which I don't think is allowed. I'm not really sure if we are welcomed back to the auction or not. Oh well... atleast I have a rocking chair! My grandmother and I had to ride in the trunk of my brother's Montero due to the thing. But it was worth it....

My rocker... embedded with memories already!

Goin' once... goin' twice... SOLD to me!

My grandmother's "doll" rocker. She paid $3.

No comments:

Post a Comment