Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It's a Bug's Life

When I was a little kid, I liked to catch bugs (eww). Caterpillars, ladybugs, lightning bugs, and those little white moths that fly around right before dark were my favorite. Thinking back to those times, it really has me thinking... "How in the world did I find all those insects?"  I probably don't stay outdoors nearly as much as I did when I was a kid, but whenever I do go outside, I rarely see any bugs that would have caught my attention as a kid. Did they go extinct? Is it possible that I captured them all!? About 20 years ago (sigh), my cousin Traci and I would meet each other halfway between our houses on a daily basis, and it was a given that we would find some new loving pet  for the day.  The picture at the right is us with our Great Grandfather (check out Mama's retro couch!). Traci is housing a helpless caterpillar in her mixing pot, which worked as a safe transportation device between both of our yards. It kind of reminds me of that cartoon character Elmyra. Do any of you remember her? She would find an animal and torture it through hugs and kisses, and all the animals hated her. I bet we were the Elmyra to the insect world. I remember one time we passed by a small tree/bush out in the middle of my pasture. It had little shells on it, similar to those that hold beans (just so you know... I'm not a farmer... and know nothing about plants). The little shells caught our attention, so we starting exploring. That's when we noticed these little caterpillars inside the shells. Traci told me that they were baby caterpillars (she was wiser because she was a grade ahead of me). We hit the JACKPOT! We ran to my house as fast as we could and searched around in my room and grabbed one of those little plastic containers (that prizes come inside of in a quarter machine). Then, we hurried back to the tree and started collecting. We discussed which caterpillars were the babies, and which ones were the mamas. After we were satisfied with our catch, we brought the supply in to show the parents. You should have seen their faces when we brought a group of maggots into the house (kids are GROSS!).  Daddy threw them out faster than we could bring them in. Ha! ANYWAYS... as I was walking with Chipper out in the yard today, I came across this little guy... I guess they do still exist...
I shall dedicate this creepy crawler to my cousin Traci! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment